Suggestions on how to write a thesis statement for a research paper
Why a thesis statement is essential for an excellent research paper?
A thesis statement sets the tone for the entire research paper.
A thesis statement lets the reader know the purpose and main point of the research paper.
The thesis statement gives a brief description of the topic of the research paper.
The thesis statement should always be the last sentence of the introductory paragraph.
As the last sentence of the introductory paragraph, it ensures that the reader understands the topic, and determines if, they will read the rest of the paper.
The thesis statement sometimes gives the writer’s position on the topic.
The thesis statement should set the tone for the entire research paper.
The statement must be strong enough to give the topic strength and significance.
How to write an outstanding thesis statement for a research paper?
- Tip #1: Must ensure to pick a topic for the research paper that will start-up a conversation on it.
- Tip #2: One must ensure that they have enough supporting facts and supporting evidence to back-up the writer’s viewpoint on the topic.
- Tip #3: The Introduction to the research paper should provide the reader with a general understanding of what will be discussed in the paper.
- Tip #4: The Introduction should give the targeted reader a clear understanding of the topic.
- Tip #5: The thesis statement should always be the last sentence of the Introduction.
- Tip #6: The thesis statement must be written in a manner that will be strong in nature and compelling.
- Tip #7: The thesis statement should be written in a way that will catch the eye and attention of the targeted reader.
- Tip #8: It is always advisable to check out other research papers to see how the thesis statements are written. Use those thesis statements as an example to write the thesis statement for your research paper.
- Tip #9: The thesis statement and Introduction paragraph should be written last after the entire research paper.
- Tip #10: The writer should take their time when writing the thesis statement, just like when one takes their time writing the research paper.
Here are some other good pointers on writing a good thesis statement:
- Pointer #1: Do not be afraid to “think outside of the box” when writing the thesis statement.
- Pointer #2: Be careful not to make the thesis statement too catchy.
- Pointer #3: The thesis statement should not be too long or too short.
- Pointer #4: The thesis statement should tie the topic into the entire research paper.